Thursday, September 22, 2011

Can Pepcid AC Cure Your Asian Flush Syndrome?

ByM Yamamoto

Life can really suck if you have Asian glow. I know because I have it. Like any physical condition that basically has no cure, you have to learn to live with it until a cure or treatment can be discovered.

Asian flush or "Asian glow" as it is sometimes referred to, is a genetic condition that affects approximately 50% of people of Asian descent. It is essentially a disorder where the sufferer cannot break down alcohol like a normal person. As a result, symptoms will develop such as red facial flushing, swelling, headache, rapid heartbeat, nausea and itching.

So like I said, there is no cure for this condition. There is no magic pill that will make all these symptoms go away. You won't be able to find something in the drug store specifically for Asian glow. I think if the pharmaceutical companies did have a cure for this condition, it would make a lot of money. Unfortunately, nothing official has come out yet. Not that there isn't methods to help treat some of the symptoms. There is. We'll go over that right now.

Does Pepcid AC Help with Asian Glow?

Over the counter drugs called H2 blockers are commonly used among many young sufferers, based on some internet searches. The street names for these drugs are Pepcid AC or Zantac. They are typically associated with antacids. The main reason why they work for Asian glow sufferers is because they relieve gastric acid in the stomach. It will counteract the effect of Alcohol consumption, which creates gastric acid. This usually slows down the effect alcohol has on the sufferer's body, thus reducing the symptoms. So yes, it does help somewhat in relieving the symptoms, especially red flushing to the face (red face). It should be noted that before you take any pharmaceutical drugs, even if is over the counter, you should consult with your doctor first.

My Personal Opinion.

I have tried taking Pepcid AC and it does relieve some of my symptoms. Before I took Pepcid AC, I would take a few drinks and my face would be the color of a fresh ripe tomato, ready to be picked. After taking Pepcid AC, I noticed that my face was a little blush and I experienced some hot flushes around my neck area but nothing more severe than that. It's possible my condition may not be as strong as other sufferers.

The most important thing I feel in controlling Asian flush is to stop it from happening. If that means drinking less or consuming drinks with less alcoholic content, so be it. Sometimes, you just have to learn to compromise if you want to stay healthy. Sufferers of Asian flush will experience varying degrees of symptoms. Taking Pepcid AC or Zantac might help some people but it might have no effect on others.

Want to learn more about Pepcid and Asian glow on my website.

Article Source:http://EzineArticles.com/?expert